A Pandemic of Racial Injustice
June 1, 2020
The Texas Counseling Association (TCA) must speak out as Texas and our nation struggle with the violent pandemic of racial injustice. Too many people are dying. We cannot stand on the sidelines.
TCA’s values include “Accountability, Advocacy, Communication, Professionalism, Respect and Unity.” A key component of TCA’s mission is to “promote wellness.”
As Professional Counselors, we are uniquely qualified to lead our clients, our communities, our students, our families, our colleagues, our neighbors, and our elected officials through difficult conversations on the impact of racial injustice. It is only honest dialogue that will help increase respect for all, expand our acceptance of differences, and promote positive action for change.
The COVID-19 pandemic has driven us to trust the data. Let's do that with the pandemic of Racial Injustice. Trust the data. The data tells us people of color are more likely than white people to die from treatable diseases, to live in poverty, to get arrested, to go to jail, and to die in police custody. This is a reflection of generations of systemic disinvestment in communities of color. It is no surprise that people are angry and taking it to the streets. We must do better.
As Professional Counselors, we have the tools to help our communities embrace vulnerability, act courageously, build bridges, and transform anger into action. The cure for this pandemic is honest conversation. The time is now.
- Reflect on actions you can take to advocate for ensuring all voices are heard, even those with whom you most disagree.
- Ensure your classes and supervision sessions help grow culturally competent professional counselors.
- Engage your elementary, middle and high school students in lessons that focus on the richness of culturally diverse communities – and what unique perspectives they each bring to the conversation.
- Promote voter registration in your offices, classrooms, communities.
- Vote for candidates who support:
- Equal funding for education of all students, regardless of where they live
- Statutes, regulations and policies that provide training on cultural diversity, safe interventions, and peer accountability for everyone working in law enforcement
- Unfettered access to counseling services for all law enforcement personnel and first responders
- Encourage everyone you know to complete their Census form to ensure communities get the education, health and mental health resources they are entitled to receive.
- When you hear something, say something. Help eliminate the use of hateful words, inappropriate jokes, and broad generalizations about anyone.
We join with Texas Counselors for Social Justice
in promoting the human rights of all individuals – no exceptions.
TCA stands with each of you in this campaign. Enough is enough. Our advocacy work continues unabated, even during the COVID-19 pandemic. Let us know how we can help you. Together we are stronger.
Thank you for all you do to support a society in which all
people have the opportunity to live in peace, pursue their dreams, and achieve their goals.
Texas Counseling Association | www.txca.org