Welcome to the Texas Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities
TxSAIGE is a division of the Texas Counseling Association.
The mission of the Texas Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities (TxSAIGE), a division of the Texas Counseling Association, is to educate mental health service providers about issues confronting gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (GLBT) individuals. We believe that all individuals should be free to develop their full potential regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity, and that professional counselors must understand the unique ways gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered individuals experience inequality and injustice resulting from discrimination and prejudice.
To meet this mission TxSAIGE adopts the following goals:
- Become a strong voice within the Texas Counseling Association and to the general public for the unique counseling needs of GLBT individuals.
- Provide continuing education about GLBT issues for professional counselors.
- Provide resource information and consultation on sexual diversity and identity to counselors, counselor educators, teachers, and other mental health providers.
- Promote and disseminate research on mental health issues related to GLBT individuals.
- Solidify TxSAIGE's relationships with local, state, and national organizations.
- Collaborate with organizations in a common effort to promote the democratic values of fairness, equality, and compassion.
- Advocate for full recognition of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered families including the right to form domestic partnerships, marriages, and families that include children obtained through biological or adoptive processes.
- Work to ban discrimination in mental health services, education, housing, government, employment, credit, and public accommodation.
- Advocate for the inclusion and integration of GLBT issues in multicultural and diversity training.
- Advocate for the inclusion and integration of GLBT issues in counselor education curricula.